Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Today reminded me to calm down and stay focused.

We had such a good time together....in the car, he said
"Donald".."Hambooger" I said what do want on your hamburger...silence..I modeled "ketchup"..then I repeated, What do you want ON your burger. "Ketchup!" (this is called errorless learning...you model the answer and ask the question again, with great enthusiasm...it is an ABA method to teach kids with autism to talk)...MODEL WHAT THEY WOULD SAY IF THEY COULD, AND THEN ONE DAY....

We went to see the goats, chickens and donkeys...he smiled but said, "GO!!" I said "Ok then, bye goat" (He echoed, "Bye bye goat") I said, "By chickens!" Echo.

Then we got around to the two donkeys...this time, he got out of the car and tried to run down the road and I got him back and said, "Help feed donkeys grass..." and he did, smiling. I said, "What are they doing?" He said "eating!" I asked, "What are they eating?" He said, "Grass" (I'm so happy; these little answers come very hard-earned...)

We went to the playground and he hopped onto his little bike with training wheels and rode it to the swings. and said, "King High!!" I waited...so he would have to use language to get up onto the very high swing and it was worth the wait...."UP" he said....and I put him up. I waited again...nothing is free in our world..fun is earned with words. "PUSH" (happy as a clam, I pushed him high)

"Climb up!", he says. I'm overjoyed...we're climbing a big ladder. But he's scared. He used to scamper up it without any fear...we'd better practice more, I guess. He says, "GO", and I say, "Don't forget your bike..." He jumps on it and he rides (he can't stop so I have to run right with him with my hand on the back of his seat...and he won't let anyone put anything on his head, so it's without a helmet and people stare at me and clearly, they want to call DEFAX)....

We ride down the ramp to the river and he climbs up happily and spits into the water (it's one of the only places he's allowed to spit...and no, I'm going into that right now..this history of spitting frigging everywhere). He's tired...fighting a cold; he looks at me, grabs my face, looks right into my eyes and yells, "SEATBELT ON" (which means I'm tired and ready to go), so I say, "Ok, but you have to ride your bike." He jumps on, I help push him up the hill to the car." "I want water" (I'm jubilant with all this language today!!) I get him a glass out of the drinking fountain and he takes 4 sips and spits the 5th...I yell "WATER IS FOR DRINKING!! ALL DONE WITH WATER"...sigh.

In the car, he says "skittle, skittle, I want skittle..." I ask "What color?" (We're working on colors...he's always had a hard time with colors...and still does) but gourmet jelly beans are a great color-teaching aid...so we work...

The car is a great place for language. What's that? What do you see?

Publix is even better! Especially since he HAS to tell the baker which kind of free cookie he wants...and he has to find the dogfood for Maggie, the pasta, the grapes..

We had a good day. Good communication. Building on what he's got, and little by little adding meaningful words. He's 6 years old, and this language thing is coming late...but the bottom line is: BUILD ON WHAT YOU HAVE, MODEL WHAT HE WOULD SAY IF HE COULD, ONE-ON-ONE IS CRUCIAL RIGHT NOW, AND DON'T GET LAZY OR DISTRACTED. Roll up your sleeves, get extra help (I put out 3 emails today looking for extra therapists), and help him learn to communicate.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Tommy has come a long way with talking in the time since Costa Rica!! I am impressed. You r with him everyday and probably ddo not notice the progress or maybe u do. I am in awe of u and the way you work with what u have. Measuring Tommy against Tommy instead of comparing him to other "6 yo". Go Kari!!!

    ReplyDelete