Thursday, September 24, 2009


Ode to Aunt Mary, by Tommy Hedin

I love my Aunt Mary, and she adores me
She sees my true colors, she lets me be free.
She lets me go at my own special pace,
so I can make crumbs just all over the place!!

When I'm with Aunt Mary, there is simply no doubt
I can climb the piano, pour the dog's water out!
And flood ALL the bathrooms and kitchen, with GLEE,
Because I love her, and she's slower than me!

If there's a flood in Atlanta, I can bolt RIGHT into it!
She might not like it, but I can still do it!
Go wild in the yard, mosquitoes and all
Beat my drum, kick my balls, buy gumballs in the mall!

I can eat cupcakes for most of the day.
Cause Aunt Mary really does know how to play!

But then Mom comes home and the party is done.
She looks at the house, she seems very glum.
Aunt Mary leaves quick, and she feels like a jerk.
Even though she truly DID SO much work!!!

Keeping me talking, keeping me ME!!!
Loving me no matter who I might be!

So mom keeps forgiving, Aunt Mary comes back!
She knows that LOVE is not all white and black.
If somebody loves you, it makes your life better.
So don't wait around, Mom, please go, GO, and get her!

So even though I might be bitten and sick,
I've walked in a flood, which was really a kick!!!
I've trashed the whole house, dehydrated the dog....
Enjoyed a disaster and played in a bog!

Aunt Mary will always be special to me
Cause she loves me for ME,
and she lets me be free.

Thank You so much, Aunt Mary....I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Mary speaking here.... This poem is not altogether TRUE, but it's a great poem just the same!!! And I DOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE TOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete