Saturday, September 19, 2009

Oh the adventures we have with autism!!! Today was a wild one...a rainy Saturday on which I decided to let him choose what we do! As we rode down the road, we saw a Marta, he said, "Ride Train!"...famous last words.
We made it onto the train south; delightedly rode 5 stops before he started freaking out in a panic screech..."ok, ok, let's get off at the next stop!! It'll be ok", I said.
Which was Midtown! In the rain...
Out on the street, he completely freaked, attempting to dart off at every turn. I carried him 2 blocks and saw a diner. We crossed Peachtree Street and saw a fountain at a bank. Exhausted from carrying him, I put him down and said, "Run to the fountain, Tommy"....which he did, and to my horror, climbed up the side of it and prepared to jump in.
"NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!", I shrieked and raced over, catching him in the nick of time.
We crossed the street to the "diner" which turned out to be a rather seedy nightspot that just happened to be open for breakfast. We went in, past sleepy all night partiers, relieved for the shelter from the rain and the possibility of pancakes.
Another freakout. SCREECHING, slapping the glass window, and saying "OPEN DOOR! (which means get me the heck out of here....)...I finally break down quietly, crying into my coffee cup. A beautiful hispanic lady appears and says, "My niece has autism...I will help you!"....she brings him a plate with tiny fake balloons and 5 slices of of different kinds of cake....he begins to calm down, just slightly but then resumes his complete panic.
They call a taxi and say we'll get a good fair. We go 1 block to the train station, and he charges us $8. I ask him why his meter isn't running and how it can possibly be 8 dollars. "That is cheap and I'm not charging for him...." in an Ethiopian accent....I tell him it's not possible that 1 block cost $8 and he says, "Why you didn't walk then???" I yelled "Becuase my kid has autism and he was freaking out!" (at this point Tommy begins freaking out again, and I feel bad). I count out $8 dollars, curse this man out, and carry Tommy back into the train station.

MIRACLE OF MIRACLES, he's NOT upset!! After what we've been through, the train station is a relief! And after months and months of being afraid of going down stairs, he goes quietly and confidently down 3 flights! (they've been workin on this at school too).
We get on the train and ride home with our arms around each other.

We get in the car and I reach for a soothing song..."Here Come the Geese" by the BareNaked Ladies....He rocks back and forth with a big smile on his beautiful face. I reach my hand back and he puts his foot in it.

Man, it's not even noon yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment